Have you ever written a book review?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Advice for Authors: Persistence

In today's installment of Media Beat, bestselling novelist and attorney Scott Turow recalled his early days as a struggling novelist before he published Presumed Innocent. He revisited those characters in his newest novel, Innocent.

He recalled his early failures as a novelist: "Presumed Innocent was written over a six to seven year period with intervals in between where I was figuring out the end of the book and writing other stuff ... My life as a writer was carried on against the odds. I had written four unpublished novels by then ... as a writer of fiction I hadn't gotten very far. I just wanted to do it. It was my dream as a kid to be a novelist and I wanted to carry on with it. And I did. The truth of the matter is that the people who succeed in the arts most often are the people who get up again after getting knocked down. Persistence is critical."
 
Indeed. It is in all walks of life.
 
--tps
(hat tip to Kevin A)

1 comment:

J David Petruzzi said...

Absolutely true. Never stop trying, and the practice is invaluable.

JD